When asked during the most recent program evaluation, “Do you feel that you have benefited from your involvement with the Grit Uplifted program?”, creative writing group participants provided some of the following responses:
– “Yes, encouragement from other participants is positive”
– “Yes I did, it got me back into writing stories.”
– “I benefitted much and really enjoy coming out each week. The teacher facilitators are very well prepared and have a true enthusiasm for their selected literary works they read out to the class.”
– “Yes, very much so. Writing—especially open page free verse “poetry” connects with the innermost self like few things.”
– “gets me out among other people, keeps my brain active and looking for the funny”
– “Yes, I love to share my work but am sometimes shy about it.”
– “I’ve met like-minded individuals, shared views, felt a part of a community rather than on the fringes. I’m more confident when writing a) to people and b) journaling.”
We feel very privileged to bear witness to the positive impact that the program continues to have on people with lived experience of homelessness, as it provides ongoing opportunites for learning, self-expression, and the building of trust and community.
-> Are you a current or past participant in the Grit Uplifted Creative Writing Group? We’d love to hear from you! Please share your feedback by clicking on “Leave a comment” below or emailing email@example.com.