The Grit Uplifted Creative Writing Group, in partnership with the London InterCommunity Health Centre and the London Homelessness Outreach Network and with the generous contributions of the London & Area Food Bank, is hosting a creative writing contest open to all residents of the City of London as part of the fourth issue of the Grit Uplifted Creative Writing & Arts Magazine due out spring/summer 2013.
Creative writing and visual art submissions must meet the following criteria:
- Creative Writing Contest Submissions
– must address the subject of poverty and homelessness
– can be written in any genre (poetry, fiction, non-fiction, essay, etc.)
– must be no more than 1 page typed or no more than 1 page legibly handwritten
– must be original and unpublished
– can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off in person to Kelly McConnell c/o Megan Cornwell at the London InterCommunity Health Centre, 659 Dundas Street, London.
-> A panel of judges comprised of the Grit Uplifted program facilitators and several local authors/community activitists will be selecting the winning entry, as well as all other submissions to be included in the magazine. The winning submission will also be placed on long-term display on the exterior of London InterCommunity Health Centre, and the author will receive a poster-sized copy of their winning piece.
-> Submissions not selected for the magazine will still be considered for publication on the Grit Uplifted website (http://grituplifted.com).
- Art pieces (photographs, sketches, paintings etc.) must be submitted in electronic form and can be emailed to email@example.com. Alternative arrangements can be made, if necessary, in order for us to obtain a copy of the artwork by contacting Kelly McConnell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All submissions must include:
- Writer/artist’s name
- Name under which he/she wants the submission to be published
- Brief biographical statement about him/herself (optional)
- Photograph of him/herself to be published with his/her work in the magazine (optional)
- Contact information, if applicable, for use by the organizers of the publication only
- Completed consent form (available on http://grituplifted.com by selecting “Submit Writing” or “Submit Picture” from the menu at the top)
Deadline for submissions: Monday April 22, 2013
Please click on the following link for a copy of the official Call for Submissions poster, which includes the details listed above, and feel free to share it with friends, family, clients, and fellow writers in the city: